There’s no disputing that the wheat we are eating today is not the ancient wheat plant our ancestors ate. In the US, the food industry has hybridized this plant to contain 30% to 50% more gluten than it did over a century ago. When it comes to eating bread it is all about the fluffy, light and airy texture that allows it to rise. Unfortunately, for many people, it poses a real problem sooner than later as humans do not have the necessary natural enzyme to ease the digestion of this man-made protein.
Gluten is made up of two proteins, glutenins and gliadins. Glutenin is the major protein portion in wheat, that makes up to 47% of its total content. This is responsible for the structure, fluffiness and elasticity of dough. When people are sensitive to gluten, they are reacting to one of these proteins, or possibly to another one of their breakdown subunits but the outcome is inflammation.
As this vicious cycle builds upon the gut walls, as does exposure to chemicals, stress and other inflammatory foods. Systemic inflammation runs amuck as does the bodies mistaken recognition to other food sources turning normal protein substances into symptomatic food sensitivities.
As this delicate gut barrier becomes breached, leaky gut syndrome evolves causing a higher risk to systemic conditions including;
- Autoimmune disorders develop like Thyroid disease, Lupus, MS and Sjogren’s Syndrome.
- ADHD to being on the Autistic Spectrum
- Anxiety, depression and other mood disorders
- Asthma and respiratory issues
- Bloating, digestive discomforts from constipation to diarrhea
- Cancer and Cardiovascular disease
- Dementia, Memory issues and Alzheimer’s
- Depression and Mood Disorders, PMS
- Diabetes type 1, Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome X
- Inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn’s, Colitis and IBS
- Fatigue, Insomnia and lack of energy
- Food Sensitivities and Food Allergies
- Eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, rosacea and other skin rashes
- Frequent colds and infectionsHeadaches and migraines
- Inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn’s, Colitis and IBS Joint pain and Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Mental health issues from simple learning disabilities, OCD, panic attacks, bi-polar disorder, drug addictions, Schizophrenia to suicidal thoughts and actions
- Sugar Cravings and Insulin or Weight loss Resistance
When the inflammatory response doesn’t shut down it becomes dangerous to even the blood brain barrier causing neurological inflammation that takes it toll on brain health and functioning.
10 REASONS WHY WHEAT IS NOT WORTHY AND WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD TO CHALLENGING HEALTH CONDITIONS
1. Gliadin protein -a derived opioid peptide causes cravings, increases appetite substantially–as do related proteins from rye, barley, and corn. It initiates Autoimmunity leading to Rheumatoid Arthritis, Type 1 Diabetes, MS, Dermatitis, Heart Disease etc.
2. Glyphosate- BT Endotoxin Roundup is an oil based pesticide that doesn’t wash off our grains and hybridized NOW, capable of puncturing holes in our guts lining as it was designed to do to insects.
3. Gluten in wheat leads to the production of Zonulin that directly increases permeability, activates WBC for an increased immune response. It also blocks metabolic pathways need for Serotonin and Melatonin uptake. *Zonulin decreases the resistance of the small intestines barrier wall by opening up the tight junctions allowing substances to pass through into the bloodstream. It is also the gatekeeper of a collection of tightly packed endothelial cells that line the blood vessels of the brain.
4. Contributes to ‘Brain Drain’ by shutting down energy production when neurological inflammation becomes chronic. The firing of neurons literally begins to slow down, degrading every system in the body, but having a direct effect on one’s mental health. This is recognized by disorders such as anxiety, depression, dementia, learning disorders, suicidal thoughts which leads to our societies substance abuse and medicated drug addictions.
5. Amylopectin a constituent of wheat, raises blood sugar to high levels— ounce/ounce higher than table sugar. ***At low doses, wheat germ agglutinin can mimic the insulin function in fat cells. However, in a cell-based study WGA at higher doses can cause insulin resistance.****
6. Wheat germ agglutinin is a potent bowel toxin. It blocks gallbladder and pancreatic functions - blocking the receptor for cholecystokinin (CCK) hormone that regulates hunger. Can result in gallstones, heartburn, diarrhea and dysbiosis(disrupted bowel flora), AID(autoimmune disorders), diverticulitis and colon cancer.
7. Grain phytates(natural plant anti-nutrients) block absorption of all positively-charged minerals– iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium especially. Zinc deficiency affects 2 billion people worldwide which affects immunity, infertility, growth and reproduction. Phytates bind with calcium and magnesium in the intestines and make it more unavailable for heart healthy rhythms, bone density and migraine management.
8. Multiple allergens are present–such as trypsin & amylase inhibitors, and gamma gliadins, responsible for asthma, skin rashes, and gastrointestinal distress.
9. Grains are potent endocrine disrupters explaining why women with PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome), are much worse with grain consumption, why men’s breasts enlarge, why male levels of testosterone drop and estrogen increases. Also why pituitary prolactin levels are higher, why cortisol action is blocked and why thyroid health is disrupted by autoimmune inflammation.
10. Moving on to fructans, also called fructooligosaccarides, this common prebiotic is found in artichokes, leeks, garlic, onions, and jicama. The highest fructan intake, however, comes from wheat. We lack enzymes to break down fructans which can lead to bloating, gas, and pain. For some it can aggravate bowel behavior for those who suffer with IBS(irritable bowel syndrome).
It’s a known fact that 50% of Celiac and NCGS (non-celiac gluten sensitive) peeps do not present with digestive discomfort but more so with brain disorders.
I have to raise my hand here as my memory was going down that slippery slope back in my late thirties and early forties. I was relating it to, two later in life pregnancies or hormones until I began furthering my studies in nutrition. When my fourth child was born his signs and behavioral symptoms led me to my “AHHA” moment that gluten was what the conventional doctors could never diagnosis.
Think about how this might slowly shows itself with memory, learning, anxiety, inability to focus issues? Recent research at Georgia Tech University shows that the average person's memory declines by as much as 40% between the ages of 30 and 65, and then at greater speed if one isn’t following a preventative plan.
MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES are epidemic — IT’S NOT THE AGING PROCESS and it doesn’t breakdown to gender or stage of life, as cries for help, suicide and substance abuse are on the rise.
The exact parts of the brain that allow people to become addicted to narcotics are stimulated by gluten/wheat and some might go through withdrawals from the opioid molecule in gluten, but these are few. Most are surprised to find that gluten is in so many products, it takes reading labels, being careful of cross-contamination especially when eating out.
By learning how you can replace this inflammatory food with mood enhancing, gut healing, anti-inflammatory superfoods and spices comes with its ‘feel good’ rewards.
Big Food and agribusinesses use wheat, gluten, grains and sugar molecules to control human buying behavior. They put their addictive appetite-stimulating effects to use on YOU to increase food consumption and keep you coming back for more.
Human genes have evolved over thousands of years and we can sustain a healthier high-fat, low-carb diet. But today we feed our bodies almost the opposite, with seemingly major effects on our brains. And a fad of “yo-yo” dieting.
Choosing your carbs wisely and sticking to more of those high fiber necessities of non-starchy vegetables versus those that will eventually wreak havoc with your health and mental well-being.
As Dr. Perlmutter proclaims…”This low-fat idea that's been drummed into our heads and bellies," AND "is completely off-base and deeply responsible for most of our modern ills.”
As is the dietary myth —‘Healthy Whole Grains’ are needed as part of our nutritional pyramid.
Science and research are proving otherwise. As there’s other options for when our health is in a state of balance towards the type of grains that can moderately be consumed. Remember ‘breaking bread’ goes back to a time that wheat was just wheat and not so genetically modified.
Changing one's diet is a challenge. Giving up the gluten and wheat found in most carbs makes it even tougher. But when assisted by a Certified Gluten Free Practitioner or a Holistic Nutritionist it takes away the confusion to make your goals easily attainable with habit forming lifestyle changes that acknowledge all of the underlying stressors.
Would you like further documentation on opening Pandora’s box on WGA…https://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/opening-pandoras-bread-box-critical-role-wheat-lectin-human-disease
In peace, harmony and health,